Saturday, July 16, 2011

Ignore them. They know not what they do.

  • I was thinking this Friday night as I was about to get off the bus.  Buses in China are often so tightly-crowded that you have to make your way to the exit, one stop before the stop you will deboard.  And so to make your way through the packed crowd is an arduous process.  You have to push and shove your way through.  Last night, I was doing this.  I got out of the seat I had had and I made my way to the exit as far as I could before encountering a jam.  I stood still. Everyone else in front of me appeared to be ready to get off so there was no point trying to advance further.  But then these people behind me trying to push past me. They started tapping me on the back.  I could make out enough of their Chinese to understand that they were making their way to the exit too.  I was annoyed because if they had been paying attention, they would have noticed that I had gotten out of my seat and was also trying to make my way to the exit.  They were, in essence, trying to bud ahead of me, but probably didn't know it.  I ignored them and they must have felt foolish when they saw me get off the bus.
  • Tony tries to hit Tom the Taking Cat with his toy guitar.

No comments: