Monday, April 25, 2022

Lockdowned and Then Letgoed

 April 25th was some day for me.  

First, I got news, while I was at school, that my apartment complex was in lockdown and that as soon as I entered it, I couldn’t leave.

Second, I was told to see my school principal.  When I got word of it, I had to wonder what it was about. It probably wasn’t good.  

And it wasn’t. I was told that they weren’t going to have me working there next year.  My first reaction was that it wasn’t going to be good for my son because there was a good chance that he wasn’t going to go back there next year.  Imagine.  Three schools for your three years of middle school. (Free tuition for my son was a reason for working at the school.)

Third, I had to think what to do next.  Obviously, I was going to have to update my resume and all that.  But my more immediate problem was who to tell this bad news to.  I told my wife right away.  That I did so, surprised me.  I was scared to.  I then told a colleague of mine that I happened to know since 2004.  I then told my colleague in my kindergarten level.  I really had to get away from the job for an evening.  I had lost my motivation for the moment.

Fourth, was the question of whether to tell my son Tony.  I had arranged for him to meet me so we could go home together.  Walking home, the urge was to for me tell him and so I did.  He told me he wanted to stay in this school. 

When we got to our apartment complex, we saw crazy Covid lockdown silliness.  We saw lots of people in hazmat suits.  The security guys had put that crime-scene style tape in front of our apartment building entrance.  We had to duck under it to get into our building.

I learned that in building 476, there was a case of Covid.  We’re in building 473.  That may be the closest I have ever been to a case.

My wife told me not to tell my son Tony my bad news. Too late I told her.  So, my wife and Tony talked. Tony started to cry.  He then told me he wished I hadn’t told him.  

Fifth was the question of whether to blog about about my being letgoed.  I don’t think I have that many readers so this might as well be a Dear Diary entry where I just get it off my chest.  But if there are any sympathetic readers, now is the time for you to tell me what I should do next.

My email is andiskaulins@protonmail.com.

I will blog more about why I was let go.  I will say now that it wasn’t because I was lazy.  I can say that in all honesty.


No comments: