Saturday, April 16, 2022

Don’t Ask Me Why!

Two years into these dark ages, I had to get a new phone number.  I had had the old phone number since 2004.  But then a new Covid app on my phone could not connect the old phone number to my passport number.  China Mobile could not connect the old number to me. Don’t ask me why.  So a new number it had to be.


I worried about all the inconvenience this change would cause.  Too many things I had set up with the old number that would now need to be undone.  It was enough to make me angry.


Thankfully I had an old IPhone Six that I could use for the new phone number.  So  I would have two phone numbers and two WeChat IDs.


Here is what I typed out on Holy Saturday morning as I  was at a China Mobile office to get the new phone number:


Getting a new phone number involves me having to take my mask on and off several times. I have to take the mask off so a camera at the clerk’s desk can take a photo of my countenance.  Why this has to be done more than once is beyond me.  And I have been told that the taking off the mask and then putting it on again renders the mask useless.


I chose a number and then I had to chose another number.  Don’t ask me why!  The first number ended in 064.  The next one I chose had a rhythm to it, I think. 13812191479.  What do you think?


Then I had to take a selfie video with the clerk.  I agreed, on video, to taking a SIM card ending in 479.  Don’t ask me why!


Then to sign I had to print my name in capital letters:  ANDIS EDMUNDS KAULINS.  Don’t ask me why!

No comments: