Saturday, October 21, 2023

Saturday in Jiangyin

October 21 was a beautiful summer day.  So, I stayed indoors and enjoyed the comfortable and cozy feeling of a warm apartment.  I passed the time doing housework while listening to podcasts.  I listened to Dave Collum, James Kunstler, John Derbyshire, Mollie Hemingway, Tom Luongo, Tommy Carrigan and Mike Farris.  All had interesting things to say.  So, I probably couldn’t ever be on a podcast.  They talked about possible civilizational collapse, the perfidiousness of the elite, the 2020 election being stolen, the propaganda around the current middle eastern todoski, the dysfunctionalism of the current American elites, and how it is best to not try to own the libs slash progressives:


If they say you’re a racist go along with it.  White Lives Matter!  


If they say you’re a Nazi.  Say yes!  You must fight Facism with Nazism!  Heil Biden!  Exterminate the MAGAs!  January 6th was our new Reichstag Fire!


Meanwhile in the morning, my son Tony was doing sports day at school.  So also:


I trimmed my beard.


I did laundry.


I did my daily Duolingo session.  1365 days.


I did some lesson and mid-term exam planning.


I followed the baseball playoff results.


When my boy Anthony came back, we took a Didi to Heng Long.  It was an EV — a devil’s spawn vehicle. When the battery dies on it, you’ll have a useless piece of metal.  I didn’t tell that to the driver.


Heng Long is a shopping mall in a village near NJHS (my school).  Actually, two clicks away, or so.  We first briefly toured a park with a Chairman Mao mural before eating at the Heng Long KFC, and then buying drinks and snacks, some invented by American capitalists.  You’d never know there was a war going on in the Middle East.  It was a Saturday afternoon and the street was full of life:  people shopping and kids playing and drivers honking at each other.  They honk because these locals, like all Chinese, make there was about like they are in a tunnel and everyone else is outside of it.  Collisions are rare considering the chaos and the impatience.


I let Tony work my phone apps for me.  Part of it is me being old and me carrying on the family tradition of having the son control the latest tech doodads.


Now, I am back at the apartment.  Tony is at the apartment community basketball court.


I should phone my Mom tonight.

No comments: