Wednesday, July 8, 2020

A Woke Podcast; Rain in Wuxi, Rain in Brandon; Putting Down the Masks; Trump-Hater Boycott; Cutting Corners


  • I listen to podcasts of a dissident or reactionary persuasion, so it really jars me when I hear something "woke" being said in a podcast. I was listening to a locked-in podcast about the Houston Rockets. I was interested, on account of my son Tony, about what the Rockets schedule would be when they resumed play. This was fine. But then they had to make a point of saying how concerned they were about "social issues" and were donating money to organizations created to deal with them. I immediately wanted to delete the podcast and never listen to another episode. Why did they have to make mention of politics? Sports is meant to be an escape from all the bullshit. But no, they had to show they cared! I was reminded of the crap I heard while I was in the bathroom at the Minnesota Twins baseball stadium, and a recorded message was played telling patrons how "woke" the baseball organization was about things like the environment and gender issues.

  • It rained 95 mm in one day in Wuxi and it resulted in some flooding. Still, it was nothing like the 150 mm that fell in five hours in Brandon, Canada where my Mom lives.

  • More and more, I see people putting their masks down off their face so that it just covers their neck. I have seen this on buses and the subway. With so much humidity, the mask merely adds to the suffering.

  • I was so annoyed at the riots in the USA, that I stopped talking to one Canadian I know here. I wasn't interested in hearing his take on what was going on there. This guy is from the Trump-is-a-racist crowd. (But that kind of isolates, so I may have to contact him out of curiosity.)

  • I hope Trump can win the election later this year. Like it or not, he is the one we have to cheer for, if we love Western Civilization and Christendom and general human decency.

  • I may have said something in this blog about how the local drivers like to cut corners when they make turns, instead of making a perpendicular turn around the end of their turning lane. I think it is a selfish habit indicating a lack of skill, patience and consideration for others on the part of local drivers. I saw another extreme example of this by the driver of the car in the parking spot next to ours at our apartment complex. To set the scene in your mind, I will tell you that there are three parking spots between two columns. All cars back into their parking spot. So, from the driver's perspective, I have the parking spot, of the three, that is on the right and the right column is on the passenger side of our vehicle. The car next to us is the middle. One school morning, Tony & I were walking to our vehicle. The driver next to us had gotten to her car first, and she was pulling out of her parking spot. With no car on her left, she had her steering wheel cranked all the way to the left (which was the direction in which the parking garage entrance was.) It would have been very easy for a car coming from behind the right column to hit her, because that column does create a blind spot. But the locals only think of what is straight ahead of them and never think of what is all around.


No comments: