Sunday, November 11, 2018

Federal Republic of Germany or the German Democratic Republic?

I pose this question after having had a class with a student who told me about a business trip he recently made to Germany.

His most interesting anecdote concerned what he witnessed when he attended a speech made by a German executive.  The executive brought out a little Donald Trump doll and proceeded to denounce the US president.  He then asked the Chinese in the audience to work with the Germans in order to combat Trump.

I knew of the German hatred for Trump, but this desire to coddle up with companies from the People's Republic in order to battle the USA nauseated me.  

Didn't America win the cold war?  Didn't West Germany absorb East Germany after the fall of the Berlin Wall?  It was my recollection of that time that the answers to these questions was yes.  Perhaps it was all a dream....

No comments: