Thursday, June 21, 2018

Oh My! I Better Get Out of this Intersection!

In a book I read recently entitled "What's Wrong with China" [The 100 year old version, not the one that has been recently published], Rodney Gilbert wrote how a Chinese person would go about his day oblivious to those around them.  What Gilbert observed over a hundred years ago, is still true today, as any foreigner who has driven, ridden or walked in Modern China would testify.

This selfish tendency on the part of Chinese is such that it behooves me to even write about it anymore because I don't want to sound like a broken record.  And yet I will see a local take the obliviousness to a level that I just have to record it in this blog.  

Late June 2018, early morning, it's rush hour, I am driving Tony to school, I am stopped at an intersection and the light is about to change to green.  Just before it does so, I see a male pedestrian, middle-aged, walking in the center of the intersection.  The light then turning green causes car engines to rev and car horns to blare which in turn causes the pedestrian to look around and notice that two lanes of cars are coming toward him from his left and right, and to think that he'd better pick up his pace and get out of the intersection.

I could only shake my head as I swerved to avoid hitting him.

andiskaulins@qq.com
andiskaulins@hotmail.com

No comments: