Sunday, July 13, 2008

Wuxi, China Contrasts.

Yesterday night, I happened to be at the Kempenski Building which is one of the two tallest buildings in Wuxi. The place is swank. We went to a pub there with a live singing act, featuring some nice girls from the Philippines, and drank expensive German Draft beer. By the front entrance as I left, I saw a gold coloured Rolls Royce.

Tonight, I was wandering around my new neighborhood in the car of my pal the King of Wuxi. We went to a small grocery store so he could buy some ice cream. I saw a crowd of about 70 people outside the store. I first thought that they were there to watch some incident taking place in the store (the locals will do this at accident scenes). But then I saw they were all sitting on the ground and pavement watching a television that the store had set up in its' front window with speakers so all could hear.

I assume that all these people were migrant workers taking part in the construction of Hui Shan New City and that they had little money or opportunity to do much other then to hang out at a local grocery store to watch television.

No comments: