Sunday, October 9, 2011

Comments of the passing scene

I get up, I do my bit to get Tony to school, I take the bus to work, I work if you can call it that, I take the bus back home, and do my little bit to help Tony and Jenny -- that's my life.  I don't go out of this well-grooved path much to see much and meet others.  I get my news of the world through the Internet and I listen to a lot of podcasts.  That is how I know and don't know whatever it is that I think. 

Keep this disclosure in mind as I make my comments about the passing scene:

  • The Wall Street Protest movement is the Left's version of the Tea Party.  Some students have mentioned to me that they have heard about the Wall Street Protests.  They look at me blankly when I say that there had already been protests about what was happening to the American economy -- the Tea Party protests.  Something is obviously not right about America -- I will give that much to the protesters -- that is, the protesters who aren't kooks or parasites.  Unfortunately, all that the protesters seem to advocate will only make matters worse -- the tragedy of the Left, alas.
  • The Winnipeg Jets lost their first game of the season 5-1 to the Montreal Canadiens.  Not a bad sign I hope.
  • Steve Jobs died.  I only had one Apple product in my life: the Ipad2.  It is a wonderful device.  I heard someone state that in 500 years, they will remember Steve Jobs.  I question this statement.  Jobs didn't produce the Light Bulb, Telephone, or Internal Combustion Engine.  You can say he made a great telephone.  But his devices simple built up on many things that were already there. 
  • Still, Jobs was a great capitalist entrepreneur.  I wonder how many of the Wall Street Protesters have portable gadgets and take them so for granted.  Some probably feel they are hard done by because they don't have an I-Phone.  I have a cheap Nokia myself, and my prospects of getting an I-Phone in the future are very remote.  Yet with my cheap Nokia, I can do things that I could only dream about when I was a self-absorbed teenage Leftist.

No comments: