Sunday, January 18, 2009

Catholics rejoice as Cardinals advance to Super Bowl for first time.

Are the Arizona Cardinals named for the bird or the earthly representatives of Christ's church?

I can say I saw the Cardinals play once. I once went down by myself to Seattle to watch the Seahawks play the Cardinals in an exhibition game. Maybe, there were 20,000 fans in the stands. The game went into overtime but no one was stirred enough to stay except perhaps me and a few others. Now, the Cardinals will be in the big game with millions watching. I hope they beat the Steelers. The photos I have seen of a Pittsburgh player having long hair hanging out the back of his helmet is plain ugly and unmanly.



Government is a necessary evil, nothing more, nothing less. The inauguration of Obama should be a simple affair. Even the fact that Obama is the first black president should not make this inauguration any more special. I like John Derbyshire's ideal of America being a simple commercial republic with a government so limited that half the population can't be bothered to know the name of their president. Instead, what is happening is a coronation celebrating the power of the executive branch of the American federal government. The power of that executive and the other two branches has become more than a sane person should have to bear. The inauguration will truly be a sad spectacle with a King a self-congratulating mob.

No comments: