Monday, July 23, 2018

Road Block

A big intersection near Casa Kaulins is often the site for police roadblocks.  There, I have seen the police pulling over e-bikers, mini-vans and commercial trucks.  The e-bikers usually get pulled over for having passengers, and the other vehicles for inspection.

One fine morning, I was approaching the intersection, trailing a three-wheel pick up, when I saw one of the cops gesturing to the pick-up to pull over for inspection or on account of some violation.  The driver wasn't interested and made a u-turn, passing by me as I was slowing to a stop for a red light at the intersection.  Coming to a halt, I saw the cop gesture for a few more seconds at the pick-up to come back before giving up and gazing at the pick-up going off into the distance.  What was so surreal about the incident was how slowly the driver made his u-turn (his max speed no more that 25 kmh), how little perturbed the cop was and how none of the other twelve uniformed cops at the intersection seemed interested in chasing the pick-up.

When the light turned green, I was proceeding through the intersection and looked into my rearview mirror to see the pick-up still driving away.

No comments: