Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sicko is coming.

The Left Wingers I know are excited because another film by Michael Moore denouncing America is coming to the screen and pirated DVD shops soon.  This film entitled Sicko criticizes America's Health System and suggests that Socialized Medicine like Great Britain's NHS and Canada's Medicare is what America needs. 

Here is one nurse's take on Britain's NHS.  It talks about the human misery brought on by NHS.

I have my own anecdotes about Canada's medical system.  When I was in Canada three years ago.  There was debate about reforming the system what with waiting lists being too long.  The only acceptable answer to the medical establishment for fixing Canada's medical system was to spend more money on it.  I remember hearing a call-in show in Vancouver comparing American and Canadian Health systems.  The Callers were split 50-50 on which system was better.  Those who could afford it went to America.  Those who could not wanted to drag those who went to America down with them.  I remember Nursing students I know excited by the possibility of working in Hawaii which was looking for nurses.  I have a cousin who was a nurse who worked for temp companies.  She would almost always get work on weekends, especially long weekends where the regular unionized nurses could not be bothered to go to work.   I have a cousin who also remarked that the nurses at the Saint Boniface Hospital in Winnipeg were more dedicated when they were Nuns.  Nuns had a dedication to duty that Unionized nurses long abandoned after the introduction of Medicare.

China's medical system is actually private.  I see cashiers on every floor of People's Hospital #4.  I asked the students if they wanted a public system and the higher taxes they would have to pay that went with it.  One student said no.  "I am healthy.  Why should I pay?"

No comments: