Sunday, January 17, 2021

Crossing Guard

These days, I have seen so many crossing guards at intersections.  Some of them are police officers, some of them seem to be security types.  Others seem to be "volunteers" or people "recruited" to stand at the corner, and advise pedestrians and cyclists to behave themselves.  These volunteers wear shiny vests and hold a yellow flag.  They are from many age groups.

One guard, happened to catch my attention as I was taking the bus to work. He looked to be past middle age.  He was standing solidly in place, but other than that he looked feeble.  He held his flag with a determination that seemed trained into him, but it was fragile all the same.  His appearance caught more than a passing glance from me because of his failed attempt to stop a female cyclist from running a red light.  The cyclist ignored him, he tried to get her attention, and he then shrugged and stayed in place like an ignored and powerless sentry.  

I thought how he was but an ornament.  I wondered if there was any more useful thing he could be doing, or was this the way of China where they still massively employ people as doormen.

No comments: